forwared from CommonLoops

    Date: Sun, 16 Feb 86 20:45:55 EST
    From: George J. Carrette <GJC at MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>
    To:   common-lisp at SU-AI.ARPA
    Re:   forwared from CommonLoops

      From: ricks%ic at BERKELEY.EDU (Rick L Spickelmier)
      I'm in the process of porting to VAXLISP and I've come across one
      thing that I think should be changed.  In PCL, #+3600 is used for
      3600 specific code.  VAXLISP dies on this since 3600 is not a symbol.
      The commonlisp book (Steele) also says that #+ items must be symbols.

It's not so gross to force the #+/#- reader to intern all tokens;
|3600| is a perfectly good symbol.  Besides, if we were to allow
numbers in #+/#- expressions, we'd be back to the problem found
soon after the first existence of the 3600, in which a change of
the read base caused #+/#- conditionals to fail . . .

I think it's too restrictive to not allow "fixnum symbols" in #
conditionals.

	-- Richard