time of evaluation

    I agree it would be most consistent to evaluate everything all the
time, but as JAR pointed out a while back, consistency is not an
attribute of the Common Lisp language.  In this case, I think it is
better to be inconsistent so that you aren't consistently screwed.

    One thing to consider is that when you make a thing implicitly
eval-when compile, there is no way to override this behavior.  In
contrast, it is always possible to make something evaluated in the
compiler by using eval-when (compile).  At least, that is my
interpretation of eval-when's semantics, which are rather poorly
defined, as I have mentioned before.

  Rob