      about the pros and cons of separate function and value cells.

    Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1985  11:13 EST
    From: Scott E. Fahlman <Fahlman at C.CS.CMU.EDU>

    We thought brielfly about such issues and decided that we would quickly go
    mad if we tried to avoid stepping on symbols (or ways of using them) for
    every other Lisp-like language.  That's why there are packages.  The
    Common Lisp top-level will not mess around with the value of SCHEME:*,
    etc.  Customize the scheme symbols any way you want, and import from
    the LISP package those things that happen to be right.

    -- Scott