WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS

Mr. Greenberg has pointed out that I've only hidden the problem by
suggesting CRITICAL-SECTION instead of WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS.  That's
exactly what I intended to do.

WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS is too specific, and deals only with interrupt
questions, not with memory lockout or other strange things that
may occur on multiprocessors.

CRITICAL-SECTION, I believe, suggests what it is that we are trying
to accomplish, without being specific.  On a simple processor running
a LISP without its own tasking or interrupts, it would be a nop.
With interrupts, it would lock them out.  With tasks, it would also
prevent task switches.  On a multiprocessor it might also do some
kind of memory lockout to prevent the other processors from stomping
on things.  Who knows -- and that's exactly the point.

Perhaps the problem is that there are so many classes of things we
want to lock out that we need multiple macros or options to the
one macro.

- Paul