disassemble and compile questions

I'm in need of enlightenment.  The answers to the following two
questions are not obvious from my readings of the book.

   1.  If f is an interpreted function, does (disassemble 'f)
       cause f to become a compiled function?

   2.  What is the appropriate way to compile a function object
       that is not compiled, not a lambda-expression and not the
       function definition for a symbol?  Consider the "lexical
       closure" example in section 2.13 of CLtL.

More on 1:
  According to CLtl section 25.1, in the definition of disassemble,
  "The argument should be either a function object, a lambda-expression,
   or a symbol with a function definition.  If the relevent function is
   not a compiled function, it is first compiled.  ... This is primarily
   useful for debugging the compiler ... ."
  Side-effecting the function cell by disassembling does not seem like
  a result I would desire, especially when debugging the compiler.
  Is (compile 'symbol) or (compile nil (symbol-function 'symbol)) the
  intended means of compilation?

More on 2:
  The definition of compile states that it will only handle lambda-
  expressions: "If definition is supplied, it should be a lambda-expression,
  the interpreted function to be compiled.  If it is not supplied, then
  name should be a symbol with a definition that is a lambda-expression;
  ... ."  Section 2.13 states that lists other than lambda expessions
  may, in certain implementations, serve as functions.  Should the
  definition of compile include such cases?  I hope so.

Thanks.