(duplicate) programs writing backquote

I've gotten back about twenty "Unable to deliver" messages because of a new
"message-id" that our local mail-handler started adding. I'm
repeating the message here -- sorry if it is a duplicate.

Date: Tue, 28 May 1985 18:38:00 -0000
From: masinter.pa@Xerox.ARPA
Subject: programs writing backquote
To: common-lisp@su-ai.ARPA

In part of the discussion over nesting depth of backquote, more than one
person alluded to the possibility that a *program* could write a 3-deep
nested backquote and that this was generally a good thing.

However, as far as I can tell, it would be easier for a Snobol program
to write nested backquotes rather than Lisp, because there is no defined
S-expression representation of backquotes... the only thing GSSB ( Guy
Steele's Silver Book) defines is the surface syntax.

Do I misunderstand? Can someone give a program which creates a Common
Lisp 3-deep-nested backquote, without resorting to string manipulations?

-------