char-equal of control characters

    Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1985  20:59 EDT
    From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@CMU-CS-C.ARPA>

    The next time we design a new Lisp, we should separate the concept of
    characters (which might or might not want to have fonts attached) and
    input-keystrokes, which would be some implementation-dependent
    representation of anything that might come in from keyboard land,
    including combinations of shift bits.  It was a mistake to muddle these
    two ideas together, but it is too late to change that now.

I'm not sure I agree with that, since that is what we did in the Lisp machine
world originally (before character objects) and it has been a continuing source
of grief.