Length of currently-open-for-write file is ambiguous or meaningless

    I think that file-length of a stream that is open for write is
perfectly meaningful.  file-length is the file-position of EOF.  In
the presence of multiple concurrent writers, the result may be
ill-defined, but if that is the case, you are in bad trouble anyway.

    The meaning of File-Length on the name of a file which is open for
write seems operating system dependant, and should be undefined.  Since
it is in fact this case which I understand to be the basis for not
allowing file-length on file names, taking this stand would dispose of
any problems.

  Rob