[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: common-lisp@SU-AI.ARPA
- Subject: Intern
- From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@CMU-CS-C.ARPA>
- Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1985 03:42:00 -0000
- Sender: FAHLMAN@CMU-CS-C.ARPA
OK, I'd like to end this Intern nonsense before my mailbox overflows.
Could everyone live with the following:
1. Intern never messes with the Symbol-Package cell.
2. Import fills in the symbol's Symbol-Package cell with the importing
package if that cell is NIL.
3. In the next edition of the manual we fix up the description of
symbols being "interned in a package" either by flushing this whole
concept or by finding a more precise term for it.
If we do all of that, I don't think it is redundant to add a Setf for
Symbol-Package (with a check that the symbol is accessible in its home
package), but I wouldn't fight to the death if people wanted to include
this mechanism as well. I would fight an attempt to add a non-checking
Setf of Symbol-Package.
- From: David A. Moon <Moon@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>