Interchange of interest

- - - - Begin forwarded messages - - - -
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1983 01:14:00 -0000
From: Glenn S. Burke <GSB @ MIT-MC>
Subject: Special declarations
To: Guy.Steele @ CMU-CS-A

If
	(DEFUN FOO (A)
	  (LET ((A A))
	    (DECLARE (SPECIAL A))
	    ...)
is rewritten as
	(defun foo (a)
	  ((lambda (a)
	      (declare (special a))
	      ...)
	   a))
is it equivalent?  If it is, then there is the interesting consequence
that it is not equivalent to
   (defun foo (a)
     (funcall #'(lambda (a) (declare (special a)) ...) a))

If it is not, as i presume is the case, perhaps more effort should
have been put in to emphasize the non-equivalence of LET with
its "obvious" macro expansion, which is something which people (and
compilers!) that think they know LET will blow.

I can understand the reasoning that leads up to all of this, i guess
my problem is that it leaves me feeling uncomfortable.  About four
years ago i started writing the front-end part for a lisp compiler,
and one thing i couldn't decide how to handle was declaration scoping
with sequential binding (let*, &optional).