Re: elementary functions

I would certainly like to consider alternatives for elementary functions.
Is there some published text describing Kahan's definitions, preferably
along with a rationale?  (One very important advantage of Penfield's
proposal is that the reasons for the choices are, right or wrong, clearly
stated.)
Penfield's proposal has been implemented, by the I.P. Sharp folks,
I believe.  I'll look up the reference when I'm in my office tomorrow.

Could you send me on-line a brief description of the differences, for
quick immediate evaluation?
--Thanks,
  Guy